Sunday, December 2, 2007

The Road To Bali

The title is actually the description for the upcoming United Nations Framework Conference on Climate Change that will be held in Bali, Indonesia, beginning tomorrow up ti the 14th of December. The conference will seek to make a final decision on what the 180 countries strong United Nation would do regarding the impending warming of the globe that will lead to many disasters not mentioning the extinction of the present generation.
I have my own road to Bali experience. As early as October, I had been trying to find an accreditation to attend the conference because I believe in the critical importance of the conference. I was actually granted accreditation by the Maryknoll Fathers but I encountered a problem on flight and lodging accommodations. About two weeks before the conference, I decided not to go anymore. But, three days before, I received a call from the secretary of the Nuncio here in the Philippines telling me that I had been designated as part of the delegation of the Holy See in the conference and that I was to coordinate with the Nunciature in Indonesia. The Nunciature in Indonesia, Msgr. Andrew and His Excellency Leopoldo Girelli, informed me that they will take care of the flight from Jakarta to Bali and back together with the accommodation. So, to Bali, I have to go!
It was a learning experience. I saw it as the hand of God leading me in His own way. I hope and pray that my presence in the conference as the representative of the Catholic Church will propagate God's intentions and will regarding this beautiful world that He had created!

No comments: