Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Manila Is Still Good!

In the hotel where I am presently billeted, a family (with two daughters) from Singapore arrived to book a room for their stay in Bali. At breakfast, they were staring at me. So, I approached to meet them. After the introduction, the father said that they originally wanted to go to Manila. However, they were not able to get a booking (peak season this time of the year?) and so they settled for Bali. I inquired why they wanted to go to Manila. They had learned from the net and were told by many friends that this time is the best to visit Manila; best weather (cold but not chilly), lots of Christmas decorations (the family is Catholic), streets are flooded with lights (as shown by the many pictures they had seen), on display in malls are lots of things to buy, the mood and atmosphere is one of anticipation of something great to come,Christmas songs are played all day, the city is colorful. I was happy to know their interest in Manila. I told them, if they need help, I can assist them with information on places to go, eat, relax, and shop! They asked me when I will be back to Manila. I said on the fifteenth. They asked if they will not be a burden to me. I said it will be my pleasure. I was too happy to know that after all, Manila is a tourist haven. In spite of all the troubles and bad publicities being given to our country particularly in Manila, the center of government, entertainment, business etc., people from other countries still like and love it. As a local band song described it, "Manila, Manila. I keep coming back to Manila. Simply no place like Manila. Manila I' coming home!" To many pinoys, Manila is really home. Manila is not only a tagalog city as many locals think. It is the melting pot of the Philippines. Any place in the Philippines will find their native in Manila. I believe, Manila is a representative of the Philippines. Mabuhay Manila!

No comments: