Monday, December 10, 2007

Humbled By Humility

I was on my way out of the conference area when I saw one of the foreign delegates who I met earlier in the conference. We exchanged experiences of the past days especially about the negotiations. Then I ask him if I could have a picture with him for memories sake. He quickly obliged. So, I looked for someone who could take our pictures. Fortunately, I saw this unassuming man in the traditional Filipino dress, "barong". His face looked familiar but I could not particularly say where I had seen him. So I greeted him, "mabuhay". He responded in the same way. So, I made the request if he could take a picture of me and my foreign delegate friend. He humbly and gladly obliged. So he took our picture and said goodbye to my foreign friend delegate. I took the opportunity of knowing our "photographer". He showed me his I.D. and I could not believe what I saw. I know him. He was one of the high ranking military official in our country. Now a civilian, he is based in Indonesia. I was very embarrassed and I asked for an apology. He assured me that it is alright and I have nothing to worry. Then we talked about ourselves and what we are doing. He invited me to attend in the meeting of the Filipino delegation. I said I will attend. Then we bid each other goodbye, and he asked for my blessing! Very humble indeed! After that encounter, I felt humbled by his humility!

No comments: