Monday, August 11, 2008

Attitude And Action

Attitude has so much to do in the accomplishment of things. But having the right one does not yet make it complete. Its important partner is action. Even if you know what to do and believe you can do it, you have to find a way to execute it. Otherwise, it would just remain an idea and would be drowned by the attitude.

Last Sunday, I visited a parish. I was actually invited to celebrate in one of their novena masses which deals with ecology. Due to my position as Priest-Coordinator of the Archdiocese of Manila Ecology Desk, I accepted the invitation. Apparently, they had other reasons for inviting me. They had invited me to share on how we were able to raise the funds for the construction of our church. The parish priest told me that he heard our story over the radio in one of my programs. He caught me sharing the fund raising campaign (10-10-25) we did in our parish. He felt my enthusiasm and conviction while I was telling the "miracle" of our fund raising and construction. He decided that he would invite me so that his leaders would be encouraged and motivated in raising the funds necessary for their construction.

While having dinner, I related to them what we had done. He, together with some parishioners, listened intently and at times fired some questions to me. I saw in them the attitude to build and raise funds, but they seem to lack the action. I said this because they seemed to be overwhelmed by the difficulty of achieving their goal. I fully understand what they are thinking and feeling because I was in the same situation before. But I tried to show them the importance of determination and faith. The sincere quest to raise the funds together with their faith in their patron and God would make their goal possible. Still there were continuous questions and doubts. I felt that they are finding it hard to make that leap of faith over the chasm spanning their present situation and their goal.

The same apply in most if not all of life. I am a believer of the importance of having the right attitude towards things, persons and situations. But it is not enough. It must be put into action. We must be able to develop a way in which our attitude may be felt, seen, heard, or tasted. Acting on our attitude brings it to fruition! Attitude needs action in the same way that actions must come from right attitudes.

No comments: