Sunday, April 8, 2007

Why I Belong To The Christian Faith

Today we celebrate Easter Sunday. The Lord is Risen! Alleluia! The Lord Jesus who is God, became one like us. He also shared our death. He died in obedience to the Father. And then, He Resurrected from the dead! Tell me, what religion, movement or group had a founder who lived, died, and Resurrected? Many founders and great persons in the history of the world had lived lives that were to be emulated. There were men and women who had given the world words that were instrumental in the development of life. There were men and women who had given their lives for the truth. But nobody had risen from the dead like the God of the Christian faith! The Lord Jesus had defeated death. The Lord Jesus gave death to death. The Resurrection had proven that love is stronger than death. The resurrection is the reason for being. The resurrection is the meaning of everything especially the sufferings and challenges of life. Only because of the resurrection do we go on living and enduring everything that life gives.

As far as I can remember, the Christian faith in general and the Catholic faith in particular, had already been attacked from all angles. All I can say is that, for all the weaknesses, frailties, sinfulness, and defects of the faith, the truth of the Resurrection gives me the reason to persist, move on, and journey through life towards the destiny Jesus had merited for me. Because Jesus rose from the dead, I too will rise from the dead to a new life with God. I believe that my faith is enough for me to bear everything because of the promise of Resurrection.

How about you? Why do you believe? Why do you belong to your faith?

No comments: