Friday, September 5, 2008

The Power Of Intercession

Catholics believe in intercessions of angels, Mother Mary, and the Saints. The intercession is more of guidance than direct help. We believe that it is God who gives all graces. The intercessors, as experts on relationship with God, are the best models for obtaining these graces. Their experience of God could lead us to live our lives into full fruition.

During the construction of our new church, I had experienced so many intercessions from our patron saint, Alphonsus Mary De Liguori. There was this incident of acquiring a certain material needed for the church. As established practice, because of the big bulk we need, we invited suppliers to quote. The Construction Committee evaluated the quotes. A decision was arrived at and an appointment to meet the supplier was made for further negotiations. After the talk, I would usually bring the matter in prayer. I will ask God through the intercession of St. Al to help me discern. Quality and availability, more than money, were considered more. In this particular order, I did not get a clear message from God. The supplier pressed us to confirm the quote because the prices may change. Worrying about losing the proposal, I decided to sign the conforme. Just then, I received a call from a friend. It so happen that he was also into the construction business. I took the opportunity to asked advice from him  about the deal I was about to sign. He intimated his reservations to the deal. He asked if I can give him some time to know more about it and give me a feedback as soon as possible. He did and he found out some doubts as to the quality and availability of the materials. I did not sign the deal and to make the long story short, we were saved from the "bogus" deal. And to top it all, we were able to find a better deal!

Maybe to some, situations like the above should not be brought to discernment anymore. But my formation (Ignatian Spirituality) from the Jesuits tells me that God is present in all things. All decisions must be made in accordance with God's Will. All decisions must be tested by God's Will no matter how trivial they maybe to some. We believe that we are connected with each other, those in heaven and those undergoing purification. In our Creed, we profess our belief in the Communion of Saints; in purgation, on earth, and in heaven. The guidance of those who had lived their lives in faith are very important. This we need to make use if not to discover.

This is a treasure of our faith. Intercession works!

No comments: