Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sixteen Years Of Acceptance Of God's Will

Last 14th of March I celebrated my 16th year in the ministry. I began it with a concelebrated mass with my batch mates from UST (Fr. Arnel Recinto, Fr. Mon Eloriaga, and Fr. Adrian Magnait). We had mass at the Manila Cathedral's catacomb chapel where our ordinary, Cardinal Jaime L. Sin, was buried. There were some friends who attended the mass of thanksgiving for the gift of priesthood.

I was a little late that is why I was tasked to give the homily. I immediately reflected on my priesthood, and it easily came clear to me that it was a ministry of acceptance of the Will of God. In the first place, as most priest would feel, I feel unworthy of the ministry. To be chosen a priest is indeed a call. So many times during my formation years and specially in the sixteen year ministry that I had, I realized that only when one is called by God can one become and remain a priest. After the mass, we had breakfast together and continued our reflection by sharing our experiences with the Cardinal and the People of God.

I remember the day before my ordination, I went to the Cardinal's residence at Villa San Miguel. It was customary during the time of Cardinal Sin for all those who will be ordained will spend the day of the ordination with him. I arrived just before dinner because I was still attending to a lot of things regarding my ordination. We had dinner with the cardinal and an hour later we were seated around him in his office for the announcement of our appointments. Fr. Adrian and Fr. Mon would be assigned to San Carlos Seminary and the rest of us will be parochial vicars (assistant parish priest). I was really expecting it. Besides, throughout my formation, I had been preparing for pastoral work. I had been choosing elective subjects that will help me to become an effective pastor. During my diaconate year, I even made some plans for my future parish work taking notes of the experiences I had in the parishes I was assigned to. To my surprise, when the appointments were announced. I suddenly was assigned as formator to the seminary. I was very surprised I just uttered, "My God!". But immediately I recovered by telling myself, "If this is Your Will, so be it!". Later, when we were talking about that incident, I said to them, "Sino kaya ang nanggapang kay Cardinal that made him change the appointments?"

That was not the last incident I was faced with the challenge of accepting of God's Will. Two years after I was assigned in San Carlos Seminary, I was suddenly transferred in the neighboring Holy Apostles Senior Seminary, in the middle of the first semester! Again, I accepted it not without reluctance but with more faith. Slowly I was learning to set myself for more "surprises" coming in my ministry. Year after year I began to settle down in my seminary work. In fact, I was ready to spend the rest of my ministry as a formator and educator. But one day, I received a call from Msgr. Soc, the Cardinal's secretary. He said that I will be transferred to become pastor of a parish in Pasay. I was still surprised by the new appointment but because I had come to accept things about my ministry, It was not that hard anymore for me.

At that point in my ministry, I already realized that following the will of God for me is the best attitude. Specially in the ministry of the priesthood, you will never know when and where you will be assigned next. Focusing on the assignment would be a big mistake because it is so contingent and unexpected. Focusing in the ministry itself should be the norm. The ministry is basically the same anywhere anytime. To be detached from one's assignment makes one always available and effective.
As present pastor of St. Alphonsus Mary De Liguori, I have placed myself at the disposal of the archbishop. After experiencing the pain of watching the parish church got burned just 39 days after my transfer and six days after my installation as pastor of the parish, and building the church for one and a half years, I am ready and open for any change or developments in the archdiocese by the archbishop. It was not only the promise I made to him during my ordination, but it was the commitment I have made to God when He chose me to share in His Priesthood through the Sacred Orders.
Only God knows how many more years I will serve as His ordained minister. It really does not matter because what really counts before God are the quality of service and dedication I had given to the care of His flock. Was the Good News proclaimed faithfully? Did I lead them to a sincere and authentic worship? Was I a good shepherd to His flock? Was it His Will that prevailed all of my life? Only in this sense that the essence of my ministry will be fulfilled.

No comments: