Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Cardinal, A Master Of Discernment

There were those who liked him very much. There were those who disagreed with him in some of the decisions he made. There even those who hated him. Jaime Cardinal Sin was indeed a popular but at the same time, controversial bishop during his time. On one occasion, a friend of mine, cursed the Cardinal because of his statements and actions during the time of President Marcos. I was taken aback by what he did but I keptcalm and triedto understand the hate and pain of my friend.
I knew him to be a very prayerful person. I was a witness to this when during our stay with him as oridnandi to the priesthood, w ewoke up at 4 am and joined him for morning prayers. I thought we will just pray the breviary. But I was wrong. Leading us in prayer, I think the cardinal prayed all the prayers he knew since he was a young boy. He prayed sincerely and with devotion. I can feel his passion for every prayer he uttered before God. I would not be far off if I say he prayed as if it will be his last and that everything depended on it.
I believe this was the main reason why he made many God-willed and inspired decisions. He knew God so well that he can make decisions from gut level. He decided with full trust and courage. He is confident that God was with him in those decisions.
In one gathering of the clergy of Manila, he went to me and suddenly put his arm on my shoulders and told me that he is sending me to do further studies in Rome. I was a bit surprised at the news. I looked at him and bravely told him if it is possible that I do not go to Rome for further studies but instead study in Loyola School of Theology in Ateneo or in the University of Santo Tomas. He insisted that he prefers Rome. I honestly told him that I do not want to go to Rome. I believe it will be very difficult for me to study in Rome. But again, he insisted. He said that is what he wants. Humbly but firmly I said, "Your Eminence, if it is your will that I go to Rome, I will go. But if you ask me, honestly, I do not want to go." I thought he would be angry. I thought he would shout at me. I thought it was a mistake. To my surprise and satisfaction he said, "Ok, I will not force you. You will not go to Rome."
He did not insist. He knew my heart. He knew God's heart. He knew God's Will!

No comments: