Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Becoming And Being An Anthonian

Welcome Anthonians! Or should it be welcome to me? It is both. It is a welcome to me because of my arrival to St. Anthony (Catholic) School as the new Director. It is indeed a difficult task because of the great responsibility it demands. Add to that my being new to the ministry of managing and directing a Catholic school. But I welcome the mission. I see it as an opportunity to be a part of the formation and education of children who will eventually be the leaders and stewards of God's creation. Their young minds and bodies are open to all available knowledge and experiences. Our God, through the Faith and the School, should be involved actively so that His promise of salvation maybe fulfilled in them.

St. Anthony is a Catholic school. The stress here is in being a Catholic school. The Catholic Church, I believe, decided to participate in the field of education through managing Catholic schools for the primary purpose of producing graduates who have been informed of and hopefully formed in, and transformed by Christian values. While at present, Catholic schools, colleges, and universities are more known for their academic capacities and successes, their original purpose still remains. Catholic schools will strive hard to fully prepare their graduates academically. But they will strive much much harder to prepare them morally. In other words, then Catholic schools are a success if they have produced moral and formed graduates even if they are not academically superior. The Catholic schools will be more proud to recognize their graduates because they have become good citizens of our country and of God's Kingdom. It will not be a source of pride for Catholic schools to have graduates who are well known academically but are despised by society due to immoral actions and questionable integrity.

This is not an easy task. This needs the cooperation and unity of every sector in the school; teachers, administrators, maintenance personnel, students, parents, and even alumni are part of the whole effort to achieve this goal for the students and the school. The Vision-Mission of the school echoes and reiterates this objective. Every member of the school community takes this into heart. Everyday, before the community begins their daily activity, these are recited in order to commit oneself again to this cause. They are the source, sustaining force, and fulfillment of their school lives. At the same time, living them gives them joy and meaning.

I therefore enjoin all sectors of the school community to be a part of this journey. Through God's Will, I became a part of St. Anthony family. Together with the new members of the school, in my capacity as school Director, I embark on my own formation and education to be an Anthonian. I welcome it with great enthusiasm and excitement. I pray for that day when I can truly and profess with conviction that I have become an Anthonian.

I join you in Praying, Learning, and Serving with Passion!

Amen!

No comments: