Monday, March 22, 2010

Happy Birthday, My Mother, My Model!



She is the Mother of God. She is the perfect disciple. She is a woman of faith. She is a model of Christian living. She is one of us. She cares for us. She will not let us be separated from her Son. She intercedes for us.


The devotion to Mother Mary ranges from the most basic to the most sublime. Her being an intercessor goes as far as seeing her as a giver of grace, either from her own or from her Son. This is one of the reasons why other religions would attack our faith as idolatrous. While there are some truth to the accusation that there are some faithful who almost worship our Blessed Mother, the Catholic faith never teaches her as God, a salvific grace-giver, or a necessary conduit for the grace of God. That title and capacity is given only to Jesus our Lord and Savior! (Incidentally, at present, Bp. Ramon Arguelles, D.D. of the Archdiocese of Lipa is in Rome promoting and defending the possibility, maybe in a specific sense, of officially giving the title "Mediatrix" to Mary.)


Even as a priest, I would not consider myself as a "die hard" Mary devotee. My relationship to her is because of her Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ. It is clear to me that she can not save me, but she can show me the way to it. She does not give me grace but she can show me how to avail of it from her Son. She is not God but she bore God in her human womb. I do not look up to her in prayer but feels her by my side praying with me. In moments of need, sorrow, decision, failure and other dire situations, she would inspire me, comfort me, encourage me, and join me. She is a mother to me too!


As a young priest, I was once invited by a family who regularly goes to the Carmel Church in Lipa. It is the home of the famous apparition, Mary Mediatrix of All Graces through then Sister Teresing. That first visit to Carmel immediately attracted me to the devotion. Since then, together with that family, I would visit and go to mass at six in the morning. I would bring with me my personal petitions and the prayers asked for by my friends. Though it was difficult to wake up early, I always find myself preparing every first Saturdays. I have found consolation in the devotion. It had become a part of my spiritual life. I have not made an inventory of which petitions had been answered or not. It was not my primary concern. But what I know is that the regular monthly visit to the church had helped me go through all the challenges of my ministry and personal life. It made me at peace amidst some turbulent events in my life. I am always confident knowing that there is a first Saturday visit to Carmel where our Blessed Mother would join me in approaching her Son.


True, salvation is attained only in Jesus Christ. No more, no less. But Jesus Himself had entrusted His mother to us. For Him, His mother is a true model for she did not only carry Him in her womb, but also in her life. She lived her motherhood and her discipleship. Her being a mother to Jesus was not a reason for her to be complacent in her spiritual life. It was her life! So too with us. As children of God, as Christians (followers of Christ), we do not just wallow in our membership to the faith by virtue of our Baptism. Like Mary, we should also live it, to the full!


Happy Birthday, Mother Mary!



No comments: