Monday, February 23, 2009

I Was There! (Part I)

Twenty three years after it happened, it seems that very little grounds had been covered towards advancement of what many of us fought for during EDSA 1. Those four days (February 22-25, 1986) were the climax of years of fighting the dictatorship of then President Ferdinand E. Marcos. It should not have been a climax, but due to what consequently happened, it was indeed the climax for after that event, the expected result and change did not really happen. With the present state of things, it even became worse. It is really very very sad to accept that we had gone back (though with a different face) or became more decadent in spite of the much acclaimed and revered EDSA 1.
edsa1.jpg
In entered San Jose Seminary in May, 1985. I was a late vocation, having finished college and worked for five years. In March of 1985, I suddenly became aware of the intense call of God for priesthood. I just found myself one day taking the entrance exam in San Jose. I passed the exams and the interviews. In April, I received the news that I was accepted for formation to the priesthood in San Jose. Just before the school year began, I was asked to report to prepare myself. I entered the seminary in May 21, 1985. Immediately we underwent orientation and did a lot of preliminary activities that will help us immediately integrate ourselves to the community. 

While I was undergoing formation in the seminary, the political situation in the country was becoming more tense. The death of Ninoy Aquino and the massive and blatant cheating that happened in the recent election, where Cory Aquino, Ninoy's wife, "won" over Marcos in an "snap election", became the tipping point. Of course, the people were aware of the corruption and abuses by the government and the military. These were also crucial factors in the uneasiness being felt by the people about their government. During that time, the streets of Manila were always full of protesters from students, workers, teachers, farmers, and "leftists". President Marcos, through the help of the military tried to control the situation. Curfews were imposed. Checkpoints were placed in strategic places in Metro Manila. Abduction of some key people in the opposition were being reported. And there was a suppression of the media. The situation was so volatile that it only needed a little push or "fire" to be ignited and exploded. And it did! 

The necessary push came from the defection of Fidel Ramos and Juan Ponce Enrile. I came to know about this when I was already in my apostolate area. That was the night of February 22, 1986, Saturday. Incidentally, that afternoon, before I went to my apostolate area in Marcelo Green Village, Paranaque (Mary Mother of Good Counsel Parish), I attended the wedding of my sister, Emerlita to Jovencio in Our Lady Of Fatima Parish, in Mandaluyong City. It was also the birthday of my brother, Guilbert. Because I have to go to my apostolate area, I have to beg off in attending the wedding reception. I rode a bus from Mandaluyong to Marcelo. On the way, in Magallanes interchange, I saw on the other side of EDSA a lot of APCs (Army Personnel Carrier?) going the North direction of EDSA. I said, something was happening. It was about five or six in the afternoon. I reached the parish church and reported to the parish priest, Fr. Dennis Salise. Sometime that evening, a parishioner called our attention to watch television. President Marcos was on television revealing the alleged attempt on his life by a member of the Presidential Security Group (PSG). We turned on the television and we caught Marcos on t.v. presenting the supposed PSG tasked to assassinate him. I could not vividly remember what he said but I think it was about the failed attempt on his life and that he will do everything to find and punish those who were behind the failed attempt.

We left it at that. We slept. The next morning, February 23, Sunday, masses were held in the parish. People were talking about what happened the night before. After lunch, I went back to the seminary. I can not anymore remember how I was able to get back to the seminary. We were told that people had begun occupying EDSA. I believe that when we got to Crossing (EDSA and Shaw Boulevard), we were not allowed to proceed to Ortigas but were diverted towards Pasig. In any case, I reached the seminary in the afternoon. By that time, Enrile had camped in Camp Aguinaldo, while Ramos was camped in Camp Crame (?). Later, they joined together for coordination and stronger position.

An emergency meeting was called by the Rector of the seminary, in the evening, regarding our involvement in the events happening. In case, we are already sure of what we will do and what are our commitments.

No comments: