Tuesday, December 23, 2008

To Shop Or Not To Shop

"Christmas cards have all been sent. The Christmas rush is through. And there's only one wish to make; a special one for you."

CTYL Holiday Shopping-31 by RichardJAnderson.

Two days before Christmas and people are now at the height of meeting their targets for the season. Some may have already done everything save for the Christmas eve immediate preparations. But a good number, I believe, are in their home stretch. Some may still make it on time, photo-finish. And if there will be those who will fall short, better luck next time.

As for me, I have decided not to join the band wagon. There's just too many gifts to prepare with little time to spend (and money too!). Traffic is always heavy and department stores are full. Especially these days. I remember some years ago, I told myself that I will just make a last ditch effort to buy gifts on the last day before Christmas. I was thinking that many people might have been over with their shopping and therefore, shopping will not be that difficult. To my surprise, it was contrary to what I expected. It was harder to get a pair of what you want. It was hardest to get on line and pay for what you bought. I ended up returning the good I planned to buy and just went home with nothing. 

Last minute shopping is not advisable because most of the prime goods had already been bought. You are lucky if you still find the pair, design, and size that you want. Most are left overs. Also, you do not have time to bargain. In most cases, you buy it without counting the cost! Also, rarely will you be satisfied with what you bought. You feel harassed.

And so, I decided that I will not join the shopping spree and season rush. But I was not successful. I just found myself in a mall on the 24th buying some things. Years ago it was easier because I only have a few "pamangkins". Now, they are just too many! But what can I do? Eeveryone should be given at least something. So, I need to have something for everyone. I guess, that is part of the spirit the season has developed in each one of us. Unfortunately, it is not the essence of the season. But it can still serve the purpose of Christmas if it is based on the fact that we are giving because we want to share and live the very charity our God had done for us. Something that seems to be missing from many people, and many are even Christians!

Days after Christmas, malls are still full of people. Some Tiangge's may have closed already, but the shopping spirit is still there. Maybe some are still catching up with their gifts by the new year. Nevertheless, it is still Christmas! And gift giving is still in season. In the same way, the birth of the Lord Jesus was not seen as the end of the salvific action of God but was part of the beginning of God's plan of salvation.

No comments: