Monday, January 14, 2008

Happy Birthday Monique




I would like to dedicate this piece to Ruth Anne Monique Subia Ungco, my inaanak.

Happy 14th birthday Monique, my inaanak and very good friend!

Monique is a very intelligent and good-hearted child. I saw her grow up. In fact, I already related to her even when she was still in her mom's womb. I saw her start to crawl, walk, laugh, dance and sing. When she was still a baby, I used to massage her tiny hands to make her sleep. Many times, I would carry her or guide her to walk.

Once when we were on board a plane on our way to the U.S., I had to carry her and walk her along the airplane aisle because she was very uncomfortable sitting on her mothers lap. While we were travelling with her relatives and family from New York to Washington, she would render different nursery rhymes and children songs that kept us all awake and laughing the whole trip. She was a complete joy for all of us. She was a perfect representation of the child Jesus wanted us to respect and take care. 

There were times when I would bring her to and fetch her from school whenever circumstances allow and requires it. She taught me how to deal with heavy traffics. Once, on the way to school, we encountered heavy traffic along the super highway. She told me that we should pray to St. Michael, the Archangel. We did, and lo and behold, we were able to make it in time!

She loves the song "The Christmas Alphabet". She learned it in school when they interpreted it in one of their Christmas parties (which I also take time to attend! You can say I am a Monique fan!). When Christmas time nears, I would play the cassette containing the song in the car stereo and we will it sing together over and over until we reach school. Yes, she enjoyed it very much. But maybe I did more than her! Ha ha ha.

One very exciting moment in her spiritual life was during her first communion. She was so thrilled and filled by it that even in her dreams she would see the initials "FHC" everywhere (cars, buildings, people, carry the initials with the). I was the presider in that celebration. When she told to me about her dreams, she asked that I do not mention it to anybody. I told her it would be good to share it. I actually did share it during the homily. Somehow, the children were able to identify themselves with the dream. They appreciated being understood. oh yes, "FHC" means "First Holy Communion!"

I personally liked the incident with her mommy. One day, he mommy noticed some bills were missing from her wallet. There was no one in the house except Monique. She asked Monique about it and it was good Monique knew where she brought them. She led her mom to where the wastebasket was. She pointed to her mom that she threw money here. Her mommy was able get back the missing bills. But she asked Monique why she threw the bills in the wastebasket? Monique replied, " Di ba you told me money is dirty?". Ha ha ha, she has a point!

There are many things more, but I guess this is quite long already

Anyway, happy birthday! I pray that you will grow up to be a good child of your family, a good citizen of our country, and a good child of God!

No comments: