Friday, July 20, 2007

It Is The Hair!

Suddenly, many noticed I had grown my hair long. Since July 2006, I decided not to have any hair cut until our new church is dedicated and blessed. It was a personal decision. I believed I needed something to remind myself that there is a task at hand that needed to be done. Because it was not known to everybody, many made impressions and wild guesses about it. It was very probable that I had been accused of being too "cool" or being "hippie-like" (of the '70's remember?). All of these I endured for a year. Some children, I was told, commented to their parents that I was really cool and "cowboy" because of the hair. There were those who found it ugly and even irreverent. Some, however, found it fitting me and supported it. The mixed reactions were a testimony to the effectivity of the "gimmick". One mother asked for my help when one of his children also grew his hair long. The response he got from her son was that because of my example. I told the mother the reason and advised her to tell her son that he can grow his hair if he is building a church like me. The next day, her son cut his hair.
Even the Cardinal joined the issue. Once he asked a parishioner why I was growing my hair long. It was good that the parishioner responded correctly that it was for the church. He was told that I would cut it as soon as the church is dedicated.
The hair was effective in a sense that many who would notice it would ask me about it. Immediately, I could offer our need for the rebuilding of our church. Whereas if I do not have anything to rally our cause for raising the funds for the rebuilding, I would find it very hard to get the attention, much more the sympathy of those who I would approach.
Now, we are nearing our dedication. Ten days to go! I am faced with cutting it on the day or the day after. My promise was after the dedication. But many are telling me that it would be better if I would have my "neat-look" on dedication day. I guess, I need to discern it.
In any case, many had told me that the hair contributed a lot in our cause. I believe it did. It was a concrete reminder of what we need to achieve. For our next project, should I go bald?

1 comment:

tasha said...

oo nga, fr. benny! it must be the hair! =)

i'll be there in spirit during the dedication. =)