Thursday, March 22, 2007

St. Al's Rebuilding (2) - It Was A Fiery Welcome!

After our September 3, 2004, (Friday), Installation ceremonies, we prepared for the next important celebration; September 8, the birth of the Virgin Mary. The faithful brought their images of the Virgin Mary in the church. The altar was beautifully decorated. The joy of the installation and the celebration of the birth of the Virgin made us more inspired and elated. Little did we know, that it will be the "calm" before the storm. At the ceiling, heat had been intensifying and slowly developing to a potential fire. I was awakened in my sleep at about five in the morning by the sounds of sirens from firemen and a knock from one of my households. Fire! Fire! Fire! I asked, "Where?" "The church!", came the response. I could not believe it. How can our church, which is dominantly concrete, could catch fire? When I looked to see the fire, I could not believe it. The fire was raging and gives off too much heat. I just found myself staring blankly at what was happening. I did not know how to respond. I just froze! It was useless to get inside and get the Blessed Sacrament. Nothing can be saved anymore.

After the fire, I asked the security guard-in-charge, what happened. He said that he went to the church at about half past four to open the door, as was customary, for the early mass goers who would pray the rosary. He did not notice that the church at that point was already full of smoke and was very very hot. When he opened the door, the church immediately went aflame. The fire quickly spread all over the church. After investigation, it was found out that it was caused by "faulty electrical wiring". When the church was air-conditioned, a ceiling was placed to cover the wiring and provide for aesthetic and acoustic purposes. The fire started in the ceiling and got to the pews when burning ceiling panels fell down.

The early mass goers were also there witnessing what was happening. The church that had served them for more than forty years is now being gutted slowly by fire. Many were in tears. Gen. Aglipay, a regular morning mass attendee was there to give support. He told me that we will immediately rebuild the church. After the fire, we gathered ourselves in the bahay-kubo at the back of the church. We celebrated mass together with Fr. Raffy, our guest assistant priest. When the time for my homily came, I was only able to say some introductory words and then I broke down and cried. What dawned on me was what I said during my installation. I felt guilty having said that I was in this parish not to build buildings but people. I realized that I was being given a lesson by God for not being humble and for having my own will than His. Now, I am faced with building a new church. In the Sunday that followed, I gave a message to the people and explained to them what happened and what are our plans. Now, we will build the community through the rebuilding of the church. These are times when we have to live more our faith. The burning of our church is not the end. It is our Good Friday that will lead to its rebuilding which will be our Easter. It will be a blessing in disguise. It is part of God's plan. God has a very important message for all of us. God will see us through this.

The day after, many came to see the remains of our burned church. They have their own stories to tell regarding their experiences in our church. I was there to welcome them and inform them about what happened. They empathize with us and promised that they will help. Archbishop Dency Rosales, who was just with us six days ago during the installation also visited. He condoled with me and intimated that during the installation, he meant to tell me that the church needed renovation because it was too dark. Little did he know that not a renovation but a complete rebuilding would be done. He said, "Fr. Benny, you had a fiery welcome!"

No comments: